Monday 3 November 2008

Bienvenue a Tchamba

Yesterday was my first day at my post. This week is post visit. Tami, who is the volunteer i am replacing, just left this morning. Now the only two white people in the city are me and Heather who is a CHAP (community health and aids prevention) volunteer.

my opinion of this place? awesome. i am very happy with this small city. my house is georgous and i have a little court yard and a front porch and stuff. i have a huge living room, a huge bedroom, a huge bedroom with a proper shower and a flush toilet, i even have a guest bedroom. how friggen sweet is that? i cannot wait to have visitors, whether they are from the US or from other villages.

Affo is the name of my homologue. his role is to help me get stuff done. if i want to start a club or something, i talk to my boy Affo and he helps sort me out. yesterday he took me all around the city to meet different people such as the gendarmes, the police, the chief etc. This morning, before tami left, she took me to the big school (seriously, its huge) and introduced me to some important people. word is going around the village that i am replacing tami and that she is skipping town back to the US.

i am so friggen excited to start my service. at the end of this week i have to get myself back to the training village, Agou, which is about 4 or 5 hours away for the last 5 weeks of training. honestly, i dont want to. i want to stay here and start making friends around the village and hang out in the bar and go to the school and talk to the kids and chill in my belle maison.

i will take pictures of my house and around town and maybe they will make it to the internet. but it is extremely slow and they may never make it onto the internet. the internet cafe i am in right now is about a 5 minute walk from my house and its pretty cheap, so i will definitely have regular internet access.

also, i talked to nicole on the phone yesterday and she has not recieved the letter that i sent a while ago, nor any letter since then. ive written many letters since ive been here and one might be on its way to you, just be patient. yesterday i got a letter from sarah which she sent on september 9th.

i cant tell myself this enough: this is going to be a 27 month lesson in patience.

also:
"In the Harry Potter universe this is the hometown of the Quidditch team the Tchamba Charmers" -wikipedia... really?
and you can bet that i will be all over this wiki page by the time i leave...

15 comments:

Unknown said...

if you put the photos you take around town on that jump drive, i can put them online for you on like picasa or somewhere. this is providing you ever get the jump drive in the first place, then get it back to me, so... two months from now?

sandy said...

I'm glad you will have more access to the internet...looking forward to hearing more....

Nolan said...

patience is a virtue! you're lucky to be working at that pace. enjoy it my friend, breathe! be well

Bron said...

haha, those magazines I sent will be so timely in a month! like a little pre-election time capsule... I wonder if sending within Africa actually doubles the time?

Dayna said...

im glad to hear you are doing well. i wrote a letter and mom gave me stamps, so ill send it tomorrow. i guess you wont get it till later, so write me an email if you have time?
love you

Unknown said...

Drew, we sent you a letter before you moved so I'm not sure if it will make it to you. Will it get forwarded to your new address? Glad to hear you are doing well. -Sean

Dad said...

Andrew, I am very proud of you and miss you very much, I miss just picking up the phone and talking every couple days as we always have. I will call every other Sunday as I have been. Be safe

EQ said...

Sent you a package last week. Will that address in Lome remain the one you'll be using? Love the blog. LOVE your perspective on things. And, I'm incredibly impressed by this whole adventure you've started on. Gathering more things for the next package....how do double-stuff Oreos sound? (I'll send two packages...one to share and one to keep for yourself.) Been researching your new country, and it is intriguing. Yikes....that one beach! (I don't need to tell you to stay away, right?) The rest looks fascinating. You got a great assignment Drew. We are all thinking of you, every day. Love, Ev.

kevinq said...

We new you would love it! And I new how proud your dad would be after he got over the initial shock. I know how things work on the African continent and that sending and receiving mail can be very frustrating, but once you settle into your new place and feel halfway comfortable that a package might make it into your hands let me know because Kelly and I would love to send you a care package with some stuff for you and some to share with your new found family and friends. How many kids ask if they can touch your hair? They were always fascinated with my bald head! Now my next mission in life is to convince your father to take an adventure to Togo and visit with you before your time is up...good thing you'll be there for a couple of years because it will take me that long to convince him!!

Unknown said...

http://www.mugglenet.com/teams.shtml

sandy said...

Dont forget Heathers address so we can send X-mas presents...

mperry421 said...

hey im a pcv over the boarder in Bassila Benin. i was thinking once i get my visa to togo cleared that i would visit tchamba, maybe take a bike trek, have a benin togo vol fete, of something like that. i would really like to meet the tchamba volunteers as its the closest city to bassila. good luck with the end of training, if youre ever in bassila know that theres some fellow pcv yovos here.
melissa

Jessica said...

Hi from your Bassila postmate! Melissa and I are both really excited to have found someone in Tchamba... we're coming up on finishing our first three months at post and have itchy feet, so our apologies if this double-commenting freaks you out. As soon as I get a visa I'll be taking my bike down the mysterious, unmaintained dirt road between Bassila and Tchamba to pay you a visit. Please send an email or something so we can get in touch, or just look out for a couple of brunette Yovos on your marché day!

Dad said...

Andrew, i just got done talking with you on the phone an forgot to tell you Happy Thanksgiving, I will call you next Sunday. Dad

Bee said...

Just got your letter, what an excellent surprise! Can't wait to hear more about your stay in Togo as time goes on. I'm already having a lot of fun thinking about what sorts of reading materials to send your way...